I watched a good bit of Jon Stewart's "Rally to Restore Sanity" yesterday, and wished like heck that I could have gone. I've said before that I think Jon Stewart is not just one of our more important living pundits, I think he's one of our more important living journalists. One of the reasons I believe that is because he truly understands the Zeitgeist, as proven by his calling this rally in the first place, and then further proven by making this statement in his closing remarks. Maybe not so much to you, but to me, these words spoke volumes of emotional truth. I'm recording them here so I don't lose them, copied from CNN.com:
Most Americans, he said, don't live their lives solely as Republicans or Democrats, but as "people who are just a little bit late for something they have to do, often something they do not want to do. But they do it."I was looking for a more direct quote, but then I realized I've got S#!T to DO. Thank you for working to restore my sanity, Jon Stewart.
Some may paint the nation as fragile and torn by hate, he said, "but the truth is ... we work together to get things done every damn day."
"There will always be darkness, and sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel isn't the promised land," Stewart said. "Sometimes it's just New Jersey. But we do it anyway, together."
No comments:
Post a Comment