I needed to teach the concept of translation (movement on a grid) and "translation notation," which is the method we use to communicate movement on a grid. So, I moved the chairs out of the way and put a grid on the floor using masking tape. It takes more tape than you think (notice I ran out on the back line).
Then, after a short introduction, we played a game. I would call up students one-by-one, record their place in line, and then have them stand at the origin on the grid. I would hit a random number generator (right side of screenshot below) and then have the student move as shown in the translation notation list on the left. In this example, the student would move (number 3, x,y --> x + 2, y – 3) from the origin 2 spaces over (to the right) and 3 spaces down (back). Then pick another student and do it again until the board gets pretty full (about 10 students).
Here's where it gets interesting. After the board fills, you run down the list of students again, having each perform the new, randomly chosen translation they're given.- If a student lands on another student's space, the old student is knocked out of the game.
- If a student lands on or outside the boundary, that's lava. You're fried and out of the game.
- See that pole in the center of the room? That's a shark. Land there and you're eaten, out of the game.
- Last student standing wins (the right to go first in the next round).
If I had the chance to completely redo my room (which is sorely needed; see the stains?), I'd replace the carpet with tile, marked permanently with a grid for use in activities like this. Maybe I should seek a grant?
Anyway, this was a fun and easy way to get the students moving and learning geometry. I'm always on the lookout for more ideas; leave a comment below.

No comments:
Post a Comment